Department Chair - Special Education
The Department Chair - Special Education works with Head of School to ensure all students demonstrate dramatic student achievement gains and internalize the school’s values. Helps support the school’s efforts to create a positive, structured, consistent, caring, and disciplined school culture.
Reports To: Head of School
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observes and coaches all intervention/enrichment staff.
- Manages and leads the RTI team and RTI process.
- Provides necessary data from intervention/enrichment classes to core content teachers.
- Ensures that scholar support is using student data to impact instructional planning and execution.
- Ensures that IEPs and IEP meetings are up to date and of high quality.
- Communicates to key stakeholders any skills that need grade-wide or school-wide focus/intervention.
- Clearly articulates whether or not the scholar support department is on track with year-end goals.
- Highlights correlations between TVAAS/TNReady, Mastery/IA data, F&P, AR, and grades.
- Reflects on which students needs to change ELA and/or Math groups.
- Communicates to key stakeholders which scholars are failing 2+ subjects, not passing AR quizzes, not growing their reading levels, and how a grade’s sub groups are doing in comparison to each other.
- Creates annual accountability/tracking systems and effective preseason PD.
- Serve as an active member on GP Leadership Team and completes other administrative functions as necessary.
Bachelor’s degree, two (2) years of teaching experience, and Special Education teacher license or past experience as a Special Education Teacher are required. Previous managerial experience is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues, and community members.
- Knowledge and understanding supporting GP mission and values.
To apply for this position, submit the following to both pcouch [at] grizzliesprep [dot] org and bcrowe [at] grizzliesprep [dot] org:
- Cover Letter - tailored to the specific position
- Position you are applying for